the most recent
> 2022-2023 THE FOURTH WISE MAN
in all the caves
> 2021-2022 THE SON OF THE FATHER
> 2019-2020 THE INSTRUMENT
> 2018-2019 THE ANGEL of lost things
> 2017-2018 THE SIGN
> 2016-2017 THE FORTY DAYS
> 2015-2016 THE SCANDAL MAN
> 2014-2015 FRANCIS' ALTAR
> 2013-2014 THE ANGEL of Miriàm
> 2012-2013 THE ALLIANCE
> 2011-2012 JOSEPH'S MYSTERY
> 2010-2011 THE WOLF ANT THE LAMB
in the big cave
the crib and the dioramas:
> 2009-2010 THE ESSENES - the sons of light
> 2008-2009 THE ANGEL - 3rd edition
> 2007-2008 BET LEHM - House of Bread
> 2006-2007 LILITH - the first Eve
the "new Nativities":
> 2005-2006 THE CARAVANSERAI- 2nd edition
> 2004-2005 BÉÈR - the well
> 2003-2004 THE ANGEL - 2nd edition
in the first caves
the third millennium:
> 2002-'03 SALOMÈ - the unbelieving midwife
> 2001-'02 THE MARKET
> 2000-'01 THE PILGRIM KINGS
> 1999-2000 SABBATH - the Jewish Saturday
> 1998-'99 THE ANGEL
> 1997-'98 THE CARAVANSERAI
> 1996-'97 THE HOSPITALITY OF THE POOR
the crib grows:
> 1995-'96 THE NOISE OF THE CRAFTS
> 1994-'95 THE THREE KINGS' GIFTS
only in the well
> 1993-'94 THE FAMILY
> 1992-'93 THE COMET
> 1991-'92 THE EARTH AND THE SKY
the first Nativities:
> 1990-'91 THE FIRMAMENT
> 1989-'90 PEACE ON HEART
The Holy Family in the Well
The last crib of the cycle of the Witnesses is therefore postponed and the whole narrative has taken a break.
In its place, a symbolic Nativity was created, with olny tue Holy Famiy placed right inside the Pozzo della Cava and visible directly from the street, without having to enter the caves.
The speleological set-up was carried out by the Team B Tree Climbing .
Next to the external opening of the well, then, to pay homage to the Child, the figures of the Magi were placed with “renewed” gifts that caused much discussion.
From December 23, 2020 to January 6, 2021
[The event was part of “Museums’ Net for our Territory”, the project for the enhancement of museums and monuments in the Orvieto area carried out with the contribution of the Umbria Region]
No setting up in the caves, therefore, nor moving characters, but only a young family who remarries, both to give a sign of peace and to underline that this was only a pause in the serie of the Nativities in the Well.
Next to the stone ring, at the entrance to the caves, then, the Wise Men arrived, with their “renewed” gifts:
– incense, a symbol of divinity (Jesus is God), burned on the altars so that the smells could reach the divine breath, was placed side by side with the masks, which confine the breath to avoid contagion;
– myrrh, symbol of humanity (Jesus is man), with which the body of the deceased was sprinkled before burial, was combined with the disinfectant gel, which causes the death of the virus and prevents contagion;
– gold, which symbolizes royalty (Jesus is king), so precious that it is destined only for the top of society, was associated with the vaccine, with the hope that it could reach everyone, like the gold of the Wise Men that came given to the humblest of children.
- The pandemic: due to the Covid-19 emergency, the Holy Family could be observed directly from Via della Cava, as all museums and monuments were closed by decree; moreover, in agreement with the Municipality of Orvieto, the Civil Protection and the Police Station, to avoid any risk of crowding, a waiting area was also set up on the opposite side of the street, in front of the Church of the Madonna della Cava.
- The controversy: the choice to represent the Wise Men with masks and protective screens and to combine their gifts with the medical aids for Covid-19 has sparked some small and sterile controversy on the part of “VIPs” like Alessandro Meluzzi (for whom our crib would have been set up inside the Duomo!), Silvana De Mari (who argued that a vaccine made with aborted fetal cells could not be combined with Christmas!) and Diego Fusaro (for whom we were agents of some planetary pharmaceutical conspiracy!)
- The media return: never as in this non-edition had so many newspapers interested in our event been registered, bringing our Nativity to the fore of the main Italian and international newspapers, from France to Greece, from Spain to Korea, up to the prestigious The Guardian, The Telegraph and The Washington Post (which chose the photo made by ANSA of our Wise Men as one of the symbolic images of Christmas 2020), managing to count Orvieto among the prominent destinations of the 2020-2021 holidays all over the world